Stairs- street is directed to the lower Bethlehem church erected on the slope of Kldisubani, in lower Kala. The Surf- Stephanoz or so to say the St. Stephanoz nunnery was founded by the Armenians , immigrated from Iran , in 1725-1727 on the very place and they constructed a small chapel as well. In 1868 a domed church was constructed on the its place and it was renovated in 1910. The church has been under the ownership of the Georgian orthodox church since 1988. An “ inscribed cross” type building is constructed on the brick citadel. The church is constructed with brick, the dome is supported by four loosely standing columns. The conch is protruded in a semi circle way, the façade is divided with decorative arches and with high , rectangular deepening. The dome windows are surrounded with arches. The rectangular deepenings and the circles made with brick layers surround the dome in a belt like way.
The entrances of the church are arranged on the north and west. A wide, stone, two sided stairs are directed towards the northern gate. On the top of the iron gate, in the lunette an icon of the image of Christ not made by hand is placed. The church is bordered by a dwelling house from the west , supported by the strong columns , in front of the gate, and even merging the upper façade of the church. The painting of the interior was carried out by the artists D. Khidasheli and M. Chakvetadze.
A very proportional , moderately decorated church perfectly fits the cliff landscape and one of the oldest districts of Tbilisi.